CYBELANGEL INDUSTRY REPORT
A YEAR IN PROACTIVE CYBERSECURITY
2021 was a record-breaking year for cybersecurity. CybelAngel has identified four specific digital risks with unique growth in 2021 that fueled a rise in cyberattacks aiming to interrupt business operations.
Warning: Not your average industry report.
This is not your standard survey of threats, attack vectors, or costs arising from data breaches.
This is a story of how a company’s digital risk ebbs and flows, and which risks stay constant.
After analyzing cyber incident data from 25 companies representing five industries we have identified four digital risks that saw unique growth in 2021 and have an increased capacity to interrupt business operations. These specific risks are:
- Source code data leaks
- Cloud storage exposures
- Vulnerable shadow assets
- Exposed credentials
- Developer outsourcing led to a 66% increase in source code leaks
- Cloud storage leaks rose 150% due to remote work
- Exposed credentials saw a 50% increase in "Major" incidents, i.e. those with a direct connection and an ability to damage a business.
- 40% growth in vulnerable shadow assets during H2 2021
The changes in these particular risks are not accidental.
Each is reacting to the market pressures of 2021.
When faced with these challenges a new set of attitudes and tools are needed. Current reactive approaches leave digital risks unaddressed for months to fester. A proactive Digital Risk Protection Platform (DRPP) can locate these leaks before they are breached by threat actors. Doing so can prevent a series of dangerous consequences like network penetration, fraud, and ransomware.
SEE BEYOND PERIMETERS
Download this report to learn:
- The most notable digital risk trends CybelAngel saw in 2021
- Incident trends across multiple industries including manufacturing, retail, pharma, and more.
- How CISOs are applying a proactive approach to identifying and remediating external digital risks before they cause business damage.